11/10/10

Nightmare

I just had an awful dream.

Two geese and their babies came running out of the office where I work in a panic, and I wanted to save them so I herded them into this shed which I thought would be a haven for them because I knew there were other animals in there. But when I opened the door to the shed it was almost pitch black inside, and as my eyes adjusted to the light I saw that there were all kinds of farm animals lying on the floor, and I couldn't tell if they were dead or almost dead. All I could think to do was to find them water fast, and then to start finding food for them all. There was one pig whose face is burned into my memory, it is the most vivid part I can remember from the dream. It looked so helpless and pathetic, like it had given up waiting for anyone to help it, given up hope of finding water or food, and all it could do was lie there helpless and weak, dying.

I'm not sure what it all means: is it simply a dream about my concern for animals, or because I was napping in the middle of a hot day and woke up parched? Or is there a more sinister meaning behind it all? For example, the geese fleeing my work office (significant in light of the fact that I got a new job and will also be leaving) instead of finding sanctuary and peace in an alternative found even worse conditions. Is it just that I am nervous about leaving what I know, or is it that I took this new job instead of waiting to find out if I got the job at the RSPCA? Because the overwhelming feeling I got from this dream was of guilt.

I am not doing enough to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment